My guest today, Michael Port, has written six books, including one that changed my life: Book Yourself Solid, which I read in 2010 just before leaving Google to strategize how to launch my coaching practice. I have since recommended it to every coach I've ever mentored! Fun fact, Michael also guest starred in one of my favorite Sex and the City episode in his early acting days :)
Michael's latest book, Steal the Show, is the topic of this week's show, and has been described as “the most unique and practical book ever written on the topic of public speaking.”
More about Michael Port
Michael runs the Book Yourself Solid Mentoring Program serving business owners from all over the world and The Book Yourself Solid School of Training, which certifies consultants in the Book Yourself Solid methodology. He also Runs Heroic Public Speaking with his wonderful wife, Amy Port, who I have had the joy of getting to know better these last few years.
Michael was once a professional actor, having received his MFA from NYU's Graduate Acting Program, guest starring on shows like Law & Order, and in films like The Pelican Brief and Down to Earth. These days, Michael can be seen on MSNBC, CNBC, and PBS as an on air expert in communication and business development.
Topics We Cover
- Pivot from acting into business
- Being willing to take risks and make bold statements to further your career
- Applying your confidence and authenticity
- Taking smart risks grounded in reality
- How we can use our weaknesses as strengths
- Become someone that others want to help
- Many aspects in life contain performance elements
- Performance is authentic behavior in a manufactured environment
- We all play different roles, but they are still sincere representations of our personality
- The most important element of a performance is the preparation, the work is done in rehearsal—not on the stage
Podcast: Master Public Speaking with Michael Port
- Michael Port on the web, Twitter
- Steal the Show podcast on public speaking and performance
- Heroic Public Speaking
- Jenny's Speak Like a Pro interview series with 25 experts
- On Board the Prestige 550 with Owner, Michael Port
- Adam Grant: Unless You’re Oprah, ‘Be Yourself’ Is Terrible Advice.
- Michael's Books:
Check out other episodes of the Pivot Podcast here. Be sure to subscribe via iTunes, Android or SoundCloud, and if you enjoy the show I would be very grateful for a rating and/or review! Sign-up for my weekly #PivotList newsletter to receive curated round-ups of what I'm reading, watching, listening to, and new tools I'm geeking out on.