So you become known for your ideas: now what? Many entrepreneurs find out the hard way that being a recognized expert is still not enough to guarantee a healthy living. One of my best friendtors in New York City, Dorie Clark, returns to the show for the third time to complete our Pivot Podcast trilogy—a conversation about her brand new book, Entrepreneurial You: Monetize Your Expertise, Create Multiple Streams of Income and Thrive.
Self-employed for eleven years, Dorie interviewed over 50 entrepreneurs, several who earn multiple six figures each month, to understand what specific tactics it takes to sustain a successful business. In her new book and on this episode, Dorie shares this gold mine of sage advice with us. We talk about how to build the courage and savvy to monetize your expertise and create multiple streams of income so that no matter what happens—the market shifts or you lose your biggest client—you can and will bounce back, and create your ideal lifestyle business in the process.
If you haven't already, listen to our first episode together on how to Find Your Breakthrough Idea and Build a Following and our second on How to Monetize Your Ideas. And be sure to check out Dorie's Recognized Expert Evaluation Toolkit and her Entrepreneur Self-Assessment, which we mention in this episode.
More About Dorie Clark
Dorie Clark is a marketing strategy consultant, professional speaker, and frequent contributor to the Harvard Business Review, TIME, Entrepreneur, and the World Economic Forum blog.
Recognized as a “branding expert” by the Associated Press, Fortune, and Inc. magazine, she is the author of Reinventing You (Harvard Business Review Press, 2013), Stand Out, which was named the #1 Leadership Book of 2015 by Inc. magazine, and her third launches this month: Entrepreneurial You: Monetize Your Expertise, Create Multiple Streams of Income and Thrive.
Topics We Cover
- The biggest surprise from over 50 interviews with entrepreneurs
- The tipping point and dip that happens when you start saying no to service-based business requests in order to scale
- The myth of passive income
- Dorie's secrets to rapid content creation (she has written over 150 posts for HBR to-date, and over 250 for Forbes!)
- The courage to monetize; our mutual friend Michael Bungay Stanier's advice from a friend: "Your going rate should be fear + 10%"
- Pricing for services based on the strength of your brand
- Building a professional speaking career
- Business best practice: choose only two strategic projects every six months
- On when to say no to potential streams of income, even when "everyone else is doing it"
Podcast: Create Multiple Streams of Income with Dorie Clark
- Dorie on the web, Twitter
- Dorie’s Books: Reinventing You, Stand Out, Entrepreneurial You
- Self-Assessments: Recognized Expert Evaluation Toolkit, Entrepreneurial You Evaluation
- Dorie’s HBR column
- Templates from the book: Email to market her online course, email she sent inviting people to her first Mastermind Day
- Previous Pivot Podcasts: Find Your Breakthrough Idea and Build a Following with Dorie Clark and Monetize Your Ideas with Dorie Clark
Check out other episodes of the Pivot Podcast here. Be sure to subscribe via iTunes, Android or SoundCloud, and if you enjoy the show I would be very grateful for a rating and/or review! Sign-up for my weekly #PivotList newsletter to receive curated round-ups of what I'm reading, watching, listening to, and new tools I'm geeking out on.