"The fastest route to success is never traditional, and the conventions we grew up with can be hacked."
—Shane Snow, author of Smartcuts
How do hackers, innovators and icons accelerate success? Find out in this week's episode with one of my favorite authors, Shane Snow.
I loved Smartcuts so much when I first picked it up that I would walk down the streets of New York holding the hardcover version so I could continue reading while walking. Move over annoying texting-while-walking pedestrians! I brought distracted strolling to a whole new level. Now that's a true testament to how hard this book was to put back down once I picked it up, and it's now out on paperback for your reading pleasure!
More About Shane Snow
Shane Snow is an award-winning journalist, celebrated entrepreneur, and the bestselling author of Smartcuts: The Surprising Power of Lateral Thinking. He is co-founder of the content technology company Contently, which helps creative people and companies tell great stories together, and serves on the board of the Contently Foundation for Investigative Journalism.
Snow's writing has appeared in Fast Company, Wired, The New Yorker, and dozens more top publications. He’s been called a “Wunderkind” by The New York Times, a “Digital Maverick” by Details, and his work “Insanely addicting” by GQ—though he wishes they had been talking about his abs.
Topics We Cover
- What is means to think laterally and why it matters
- How breakthroughs happen
- The career trajectory of U.S. presidents—it's not what you expect!
- The importance of flexibility
- Why we rationalize failure; how to turn failure into feedback
- How moving sideways from gig to gig helps you accelerate your own journey rather than climbing the traditional career ladder
- Why not you? Why not reach for a new level of success?
- How momentum, not experience, is the biggest predictor of success
- Smartcuts for mapping your next move
Podcast: Smartcuts: The Breakthrough Power Of Lateral Thinking
- Shane on the web, Twitter
- Shane's business Contently
- Shane's Book: Smartcuts: The Surprising Power of Lateral Thinking
Join Momentum 2.0
I'm excited to announce some new changes to Momentum, my private community for side-hustlers and solopreneurs. If you're looking to generate focus, freedom, flow and feedback in your side hustle or solopreneur-based business, look no further!
In addition to an all-access pass to my best tips, tools and resources, you'll get:
A private Facebook Group, where you can chat, mastermind, and share resources with other Momentum Members.
- The Full JB Content Library, where you will have access to every course I have ever created, all call recordings, and templates.
- Bi-weekly Q&A calls with me over the phone and quarterly multi-day courses, where we will deep dive into a major skill or topic, based on input and requests from the group.
Upcoming workshops include:
- Launch Ninja (+ JB Lessons Learned) where I'll sit down with the Momentum Crew for a private debrief on the launch, best practices when launching, and lessons I've learned along the way.
The investment for all of the above?
- My coaching costs $1,500 per month and I'm not taking on new clients at this time; this is the best way to partner on your goals, for just $97 per quarter.
Check out other episodes of the Pivot Podcast here. Be sure to subscribe via iTunes, Android or SoundCloud, and if you enjoy the show I would be very grateful for a rating and/or review! Sign-up for my weekly #PivotList newsletter to receive curated round-ups of what I'm reading, watching, listening to, and new tools I'm geeking out on.