What's the secret to becoming a recognized expert? Once you are well-known in your field, how do you monetize those ideas (without being sleazy) to build a successful business?
This week I'm bringing my good friend Dorie Clark back on the podcast to share her best road-tested tips for reputation- and business-building. She’s the author of two fantastic books that I mention in PIVOT—Reinventing You and Stand Out—and the New York Times has called her an “expert at self-reinvention and helping others make changes in their lives.” If you haven't already, take a listen to our first episode together on how to Find Your Breakthrough Idea and Build a Following.
If you’re looking to build your brand and get more well-known in your field, I highly recommend her Recognized Expert Evaluation Toolkit, which we touch on in this conversation. It’s based on hundreds of interviews Dorie has conducted with top professionals, as well as her research and teaching at Duke University.
More About Dorie Clark
Dorie Clark is a marketing strategy consultant, professional speaker, and frequent contributor to the Harvard Business Review, TIME, Entrepreneur, and the World Economic Forum blog. Recognized as a “branding expert” by the Associated Press, Fortune, and Inc. magazine, she is the author of Reinventing You (Harvard Business Review Press, 2013), which has been translated into Russian, Chinese, Arabic, French, Polish, and Thai. Her most recent book, Stand Out, was named the #1 Leadership Book of 2015 by Inc. magazine.
Topics We Cover
- The Courage to Monetize
- Developing meaningful revenue streams in different areas
- How to be strategic when thinking about monetization
- The right time to monetize: when is it too soon or too late?
- Communicating directly with your audience
- Email subscription growth: lead magnets
- Generating leads from ideas; inbound marketing
- Intellectual property vs. blogging
- Developing and monetizing intellectual property
- Effective ways to get noticed
- Finding your strengths and the right social media tools for marketing
- How to succeed without being a sleazy salesperson
- Make the decision to not be desperate for the sale
- Creating a community for marketing
- Showing your expertise
Podcast: How to Become a Recognized Expert with Dorie Clark
Check out other episodes of the Pivot Podcast here. Be sure to subscribe via iTunes, Android or SoundCloud, and if you enjoy the show I would be very grateful for a rating and/or review! Sign-up for my weekly #PivotList newsletter to receive curated round-ups of what I'm reading, watching, listening to, and new tools I'm geeking out on.