"Anxiety over being more innovative leads entrepreneurs to create solutions instead of problems. But what if you could use your intuition to identify an existing problem that’s begging for a solution?”
—Bernadette Jiwa, Hunch: Turn Your Everyday Insights Into The Next Big Thing
When Bernadette Jiwa’s little book that packs a big punch, Hunch, arrived in the mail, I immediately thought, “I wish I wrote that book!” But I’m thrilled that she did, because Bernadette’s beautiful heart shines through every page as she describes tools and stories to help you transform everyday insights into big ideas that make an impact.
In this episode you’ll learn how to tap into your innate curiosity to uncover better business ideas, why distraction and external inputs are the enemies of insight, and a deeper look at the formula for uncovering your best hunches: a combination of insight (patterns and practices) and foresight (potential and predictions).
Full show notes at PivotMethod.com/podcast/hunch
More About Bernadette
Bernadette Jiwa is a recognized global authority on business philosophy and the role of identity and story in business, innovation and marketing. She is the author of six best-selling books on marketing and brand storytelling. Bernadette advises, consults and speaks with entrepreneurs and business leaders, from startups to Fortune 500 companies, who want to do work they’re proud of and create the future they want to see. Her work takes her from Melbourne to New York (and everywhere in between).
Topics We Cover
- The mistake most entrepreneurs make of trying to find solutions first, rather than better understanding actual problems
- Addressing any concerns about integrating the idea of hunches and intuition into the business book arena
- 6 steps to evaluate and improve ideas
- The formula for hunches (insight + foresight)
- Why distraction and reactive modes are the enemy of insight
- Ideas versus opportunities - how to tell the difference
- The three qualities that help us better listen to hunches: curiosity, empathy and imagination
Podcast: Hunch with Bernadette Jiwa
- Bernadette on the web, Twitter
- Tedx Talk: The Secret to Spreading Ideas
- Bernadette's Books:
- Marketing: A Love Story: How to Matter to Your Customers
- Difference: The one-page method for re-imagining your business and reinventing your marketing
- Hunch: Turn Your Everyday Insights Into the Next Big Thing
- Make Your Idea Matter: Stand out with a better story
- The Fortune Cookie Principle: The 20 keys to a great brand story and why your business needs one
- Meaningful: The Story of Ideas That Fly
Check out other episodes of the Pivot Podcast here. Be sure to subscribe via iTunes, Google Play or SoundCloud, and if you enjoy the show I would be very grateful for a rating and/or review! Sign-up for my weekly(ish) #PivotList newsletter to receive curated round-ups of what I'm reading, watching, listening to, and new tools I'm geeking out on.
Want to support the show and become a founding member of the Pivot Podcast community? Join us on Patreon here.