"Being a starving artist is a choice, not a necessary condition of doing creative work."
—Jeff Goins, Real Artists Don't Starve
Is it possible to do creative work and make a living? What does it take to thrive, not just survive?
This week I'm thrilled to chat with bestselling author, keynote speaker, and popular blogger Jeff Goins. Listen on as we bust myths behind the starving and solo artist, discuss the return to creative patronage (and how you can become your own best patron), why "exposure gigs" are out and charging for your work is in, and striking the balance between exploring a variety of interests while focusing enough so see meaningful projects through.
More About Jeff Goins
Jeff Goins is a bestselling author, keynote speaker, and popular blogger with a reputation for challenging the status quo.
In three years, Goins built a million-dollar business, published four books, and became an online marketing expert, using his skills in writing and business to help others succeed. He is the author of five books, including his latest Real Artists Don't Starve.
Topics We Cover
- Why being a "starving artist" is a choice we make, not a necessary condition of doing creative work
- How to move beyond the limiting money mindset without feeling like you're selling out
- How learning to create art helps you develop great business skills
- Being able to sell your work is the most effective way to foster your creativity
- The role of the new patron and why we need champions of our work
- How to do the work while engaging in a network
- Why the best creative output always happens through collaboration (busting the myth of the solo artist)
- When to give creative work for free and when to be firm about compensation
- Why charging brings a level of dignity to your art
- The way forward is portfolio careers — but remember to stay focused
Podcast: Real Artists Don't Starve with Jeff Goins
- Jeff Goins on the web, Twitter
- Jeff Goins's Books: Real Artists Don't Starve: Timeless Strategies for Thriving in the New Creative Age, Wrecked: When a Broken World Slams into Your Comfortable Life, The In-Between: Embracing the Tension Between Now and the Next Big Thing, You Are a Writer (So Start Acting Like One), The Art of Work: A Proven Path to Discovering What You Were Meant to Do
- Books Mentioned: Arts, Inc.: How Greed and Neglect Have Destroyed Our Cultural Rights and Group Genius: The Creative Power of Collaboration
Check out other episodes of the Pivot Podcast here. Be sure to subscribe via iTunes, Android or SoundCloud, and if you enjoy the show I would be very grateful for a rating and/or review! Sign-up for my weekly #PivotList newsletter to receive curated round-ups of what I'm reading, watching, listening to, and new tools I'm geeking out on.