To help you kick-off the new year in style and soul-aligned next steps, I’m back with my annual Set Your Pivot Strategy episode—new and improved with the best resources and reflection questions I’ve got.
I encourage you to get out a pen and paper for this one—yes, analog-style—and pause frequently to journal for as long as you’d like on each prompt. Go big! Go for quantity, not quality, and don’t censor yourself or worry yet about whether or not what you’re envisioning is possible—the time for that will come later. When you think you’re done writing, keep going! That just means you’ve gotten your most obvious ideas down. Pushing through the pauses is where you create breakthroughs, and every time you sit with a question you’ve never heard before, you are creating new neural pathways in the brain.
Remember—not all pivots have to be massive career moves, nor should they be. The best pivots, and your best chance of success, lie in starting exactly where you are, by:
- Doubling down on what’s working
- Envisioning what success looks like one year from now
- Scanning for people, skills and projects that interest you and build on your strengths and vision, then
- Setting up a handful of small experiments to let them show you which ones gain the most traction on their own
Happy Pivot planning! Full show notes at PivotMethod.com/podcast/strategy-2018
A quick favor: If you have gotten value from the episodes so far, I would be very grateful for a rating and/or review, and even better—tell a friend about the Pivot Podcast by sending them this episode! Huge thanks in advance :)
FOR MORE IN-DEPTH STRATEGY planning, CHECK OUT THESE ADDITIONAL PIVOT RESOURCES:
- Pivot Sprint: The Pivot Sprint will walk you through the four-stage Pivot Method over a course of four weeks, with some extra prep and reflection at the start and end. The weekly emails will have tips, questions, suggested actions, and a selected list of key tools and templates.
- Pivot Mastermind: An exclusive toolkit with pointers (and templates) for starting your own mastermind group, structuring calls, and tracking goals along the way. It also includes a suggested 12-week roadmap for guiding your mastermind group through a three-month Pivot Plan (which you can repeat every quarter as desired),
- Pivot Toolkit: A library of all tools, templates, and resources corresponding to the exercises in the book and grouped by the four stages of the Pivot Method.
- Buy the book: Pivot: The Only Move That Matters Is Your Next One (now out in paperback with a new afterword!). Introducing a four-step process to methodically make your next career move by doubling down on what is already working.
- Accompanying Pivot Workbook and Pivot Planner Notepad. The Mat What's Next workbook offers a tactile, interactive compliment to the book to help you work through the key Pivot exercises in a fun, methodical way.
- Momentum: My private community for side-hustlers and solopreneurs, where you can ask me anything in bi-weekly Q&A calls, join a private Facebook group, and get access to every course, workshop, and template I have ever created.
- Become a patron of the Pivot Podcast on Patreon. I have cooked up a whole batch of goodies at each supporter level that I think you’ll love.
- Pivot Jumpstart Coaching: Personalized, one-on-one support to help kickstart your pivot with a member of the Pivot Coaching team.
- Pivot to Profit: VIP Strategy Day with Jenny in New York City: Set your business for 6-figure success and get the red carpet treatment during a two-night stay in NYC—including a 45-minute prep call to set our agenda, 6-hour strategy pow-wow in person, and 45-minute follow-up call afterward to debrief.
Resources for companies and managers:
- Keynotes: As a keynote speaker, my philosophy and passion as a facilitator is to keep everyone energized and engaged, while giving ample time for personal reflection, getting to know their peers, and creating their own customized plan for how they want to grow in the coming year. I love working with audiences of all shapes and sizes, and have worked with companies like Google, Microsoft, LinkedIn, Forbes and Chanel, as well as keynoting at conferences for entrepreneurs.
- Lead a Pivot Workshop with your team: Tools for on a one-hour workshop that anyone on your team can lead. You will have everything you need to facilitate the workshop at your fingertips, with a dashboard to track group participation and follow-up, as well as a conversation framework to guide reflection and discussion about developing within one's role, not just bigger career pivots.
- Leader Toolkit: Tools and resources for putting the Pivot Method in practice as a manager and coach. This includes a Career Conversation Starter Kit as well as templates to send to your team.
Topics I Cover
- Pivot Resources
- [~08:00] What is your word or theme of the year?
- [~12:00] What are your soul goals? Why I agree with Tosha Silver on not just creating a "grocery list for God"
- [~15:00] Create a 2018 strategy mind map
- Ask: What sparks joy? Don't get stuck in shoulds
- Form combinatorial questions: how can I do X and Y? For example, when I was leaving Google I focused on the question "how can I earn twice as much in half the time?"
- [~20:00] Pivot Method: Prompts for each of the four stages to set your strategy and set-up small experiments (Plant, Scan, Pilot, Launch)
- [~40:00] Handling the fear that often comes with setting big goals
- Evernote Moleskine Notebook
- Mind mapping CNBC Video: Former Google career coach shares a visual trick for figuring out what to do with your life
- Meal prep services I've been using: Hello Fresh, Sun Basket
- Loving What Is by Byron Katie
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
- Fluent Forever by Gabriel Wyner
- Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future by Peter Thiel
- Pat Flynn’s Podcast Tutorial
- Susannah Conway’s Unravelling the Year Ahead
- Pivot Templates:
- Previous Pivot Podcasts:
- Pivot Planner Notepad
Podcast: Set Your 2018 Pivot Strategy
Press play on the embedded player below or listen on iTunes, SoundCloud, or Overcast:
Check out other episodes of the Pivot Podcast here, and be sure to subscribe via iTunes, Android or SoundCloud.
Your Two Cents: What Can I Create For You This Year?
If you have a quick minute, I would love for you to fill out this super-short two-question survey, so I can make the Pivot Podcast, and my weekly #PivotList newsletters better than ever in 2018! I value your feedback immensely and want to make sure I’m delivering content you love.